Battery Safety Information

What is a button/coin type battery?

Button Coin BatteriesUsually measuring less than the size of a 1 pence piece, button/coin batteries are frequently used to power small electronic devices.

A range of devices from bathroom scales, calculators, tea lights, key fobs, hearing aids, to remote controls, stopwatches and many other everyday items use this type of battery. Button/coin cells are commonly used and can probably be found somewhere in most homes.

What are the dangers of button/coin batteries?

Whilst button/coin batteries make our lives more convenient, they should also be treated and handled with care.

Serious internal burns, life changing or fatal injuries can result if accidentally ingested.

Children who may not be aware of the dangers posed by button/coin batteries are particularly at risk.

Lithium coin type batteries (eg CR2032) contain more energy and are typically capable of delivering a higher voltage than similar alkaline/silver oxide button type batteries (eg SR44 / LR44) and will therefore pose a greater danger if ingested.

Button/coin type batteries are also not rechargeable and recharging should never be attempted.

What should I do?

When using any type of battery, it’s important to store and handle them safely.

Keep spare and old batteries out of reach of children and stored in a secure container.

If changing a battery, make sure the old battery is also safely stored and the battery cover/compartment has been properly re-secured on your electronic device.

Remember, whilst an old battery may appear to be ‘flat’, this may just mean that it’s no longer capable of delivering the required voltage to power your device. Therefore even ‘flat’ button/coin batteries can still carry some level of charge and pose a risk if ingested.

Dispose of old batteries at a recycling point.

If you think your child has swallowed a button/coin battery, even if there are no obvious symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.

Never attempt to recharge button/coin batteries, this may result in fire or battery leakage.

Never short-circuit, heat/expose to fire or otherwise tamper with batteries, this may result in fire or battery leakage.